2023-02-19

Just testing out a new keyboard

Just bought a new Keychron K3 low-profile wireless keyboard, and OMG is it ever better than the junk I was using before.

My previous board was a 60%, and the new one is a TKL, which is going to take some getting used to. Having a whole row of dedicated keys for page up, page down, home, end, and decent-sized arrow keys in a normal position again feels downright weird, and I keep hitting page up instead of backspace as a result. But the Gateron Red keys are super-quiet and smooth like butter, and the whole board is just so responsive, that I can't for the life of me understand why I suffered with my old crap board for so long.

The old board, BTW, was a Cooler Master SK622. I bought two of them about a year ago (they were about the same price as the Keychron at the time, but available through Amazon which the Keychron wasn't), and now only have one still in service -- the other is straight up dead, and since its keys aren't hot-swappable, so I can't even cannibalize it to make a whole, working keyboard. 

There's no dedicated row of function keys on the SK622, either, and Bluetooth pairing was always a nightmare -- at first I though it was just Bluetooth that kept dropping its connection, and required multiple tries to re-pair and/or re-connect, but then I paired the new Keychron board first try, in seconds, entirely painlessly, and it's kept on working just fine since.

Tom's Hardware gave the SK622 a 3½ -star rating, which I consider to be overly generous. Seriously, just pay the extra money for a Keychron; it's only CAD$24 more, and  totally worth it. Buy it through Amazon, though -- there are more options available on Keychron's web site, but shipping is CAD$35, and the company (Uni-Uni) that does last mile for their international carrier (4PX, who are huge in China but non-existent outside of the PRC) is awful, at least in Canada.

So, yes, lesson learned. Never again will I waste time with an off-brand imitation of the thing I actually want, and which I'd actually had recommended to me. Just bite the bullet, spend the money, and get the real thing. If I'd just done that up front, I'd have saved a couple of hundred bucks, and generated a little less e-waste.

No comments:

Post a Comment